Start your summer off right by joining the Camp Waldo team! Camp Waldo is a three week overnight camp located on the banks of the Greenbrier River in Summers County, West Virginia, for kids ages eight through thirteen. If you love working with children and spending time in nature, Camp Waldo is the place for you! Camp Waldo offers a more-than-competitive wage for the best three weeks of your life!
Our staff help make camp a summer home to everyone in our community. The feeling of warmth, spirit and tradition are evident in everything we do. Our staff is made up of dedicated individuals who love the outdoors, who want to positively impact children, and share the common goal of making this summer the best for our campers.
All counselors will live with the campers at a ratio of 1:4. Within camp there are many different positions available. You could serve as a specialist counselor, running a specific activity area like archery, creative writing, or basketball. General counselors have the opportunity to partake in all areas of camp, getting a more varied experience by pitching in where they are most needed but working daily with one specific group.
Your job at Camp Waldo starts with a full week of staff training. During this week, our counselors will get the opportunity to train in first aid, learn our programs, and get to know each other and Camp Waldo well. We will also train each counselor in strategies to help your campers feel safe and happy. At the end of the week, you will feel prepared for your campers and the weeks ahead.
- Each Camp Waldo counselor is expected to be present and available for the entirety of staff orientation (June 6th – 12th) and camp (June 13th – July 3rd).
- Counselors must be 18 years old or older with a minimum of 1 year out of high school.
- Candidates must be able to pass a background check. Absolutely all candidates go through a thorough screening process including an interview and criminal background check in compliance with ACA standards.
- Candidates must provide three references. Our administrative staff check multiple references for every candidate
- All counselors are paid $1,500 for the entirety of camp and orientation.
- Counselors can also earn a finders fee if they recommend a friend apply to be a counselor at Camp Waldo as well. We will pay a finders’ fee of $200/person who is hired and completes the summer with Camp Waldo.
- Camp Waldo provides housing and three hot meals a day for the entirety of staff training and camp.
- Camp Waldo is a program of Appalachian Headwaters, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to restoring forests, water and communities in central Appalachia. We are fortunate to offer paid internships in the month of July to a select camp staff who express interest during the counselor application process. Internship placements can include beekeeping, native plant horticulture, environmental education and economic development through Appalachian Headwaters and local partner organizations. Learn more about our programs at www.appheadwaters.org.
Interested? Apply below to become the newest staff member of Camp Waldo!
We are currently seeking a Registered Nurse to work with us during this upcoming summer and help build our program. We offer a competitive wage for a short time commitment. We do offer free camp to children of the Camp Nurse if they are between a rising 4th through 7th grader.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure Healthcare staff, campers and staff have a healthy and positive experience at Camp Waldo
- Assist with Healthcare Center Set Up
- Participate in staff training leading sessions on First Aid, CPR, and other Health Center related sessions
- Review Medical records of campers and staff
- Conduct health screenings of campers and staff
- Manage medication for campers
- Attend to injuries
- Keep accurate, well-organized records
- Maintain the neatness and cleanliness of the Healthcare Center
- Schedule doctors’ appointments if necessary
- Prepare and distribute first aid kits throughout camp including camp vehicles, kitchen, offices, waterfront, and activity areas.
- Take on call night coverings
- Communicate with Directors daily as required about conditions at camp including health of campers and counselors and other items related to safety and sanitary conditions.
- Current licensure in nursing and able to practice in West Virginia.
- First aid/CPR/AED certified
- Current driver’s license
- Ability to work on a team in a fast paced indoor/outdoor environment
- Ability to work cooperatively and closely with peers and other staff members
- Strong communication skills and friendly demeanor
- Enjoys working with children
- Experience working at a summer camp or at a school and/or non-hospital/clinical setting preferred
- Ability to commit to contract dates (June 6th – July 3rd).
- Physically fit enough to walk around large camp property with ease
- Able to pass a background check
- $1300 per week.
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, Attn: Jonathan Walker-VanKuren, Camp Director